With earrings (especially big baubles) trending for two years and counting, we're seeing a lot of the "vintage-inspired" show up in face-framing designs. There are, of course, jewelry designers paying direct homage to vintage jewelry with attention to particular styles and materials (think Lulu Frost), but we're also seeing a number of design houses taking inspiration from the past when creating the latest statement makers (think anywhere from Dolce & Gabbana to Marni to Forever 21 and H&M). This is common practice - just ask how many designers have visited the Rose Bowl Flea Market for ideas and research - yet we couldn't help notice how similar some of the designs we've found in our online shopping (yes, guilty) are to the vintage pieces we have in our collection. If this isn't an indication of just how amazing and "current" vintage jewelry is, we don't know what is. Not to mention that the best way to hunt for designer lookalikes is via vintage.
P.S. We've created a little non-exhaustive list of our own lookalikes below:
1. Gold dipped, hanging flowers.
01. MODERN Simone Rocha earrings from Farfetch
02. VINTAGE "Citrine Burst" 1950's earrings from New Mermaid
3. Gold minimal statements.
01. MODERN Gas Bijoux earrings from Shopbop
02. MODERN Lizzie Fortunato Jewels earrings from Farfetch
03. VINTAGE "Modernist" 1980's earrings from New Mermaid
4. Curious and delightful studs.
01. MODERN She Bee earrings from Moda Operandi
02. MODERN Ariel Gordon Jewelry stud earring from Shopbop
03. VINTAGE "Tiny Unicorn Studs" 1980's from New Mermaid
04. VINTAGE "Sweetheart Studs" 1980's from New Mermaid
05. VINTAGE "Cherry Heart Cup" earrings 1980's from New Mermaid
06. VINTAGE "Orangina" studs 1980's from New Mermaid
5. Bead and sequins bursts.
01. VINTAGE "Strawberries and Cream" 1960's earrings from New Mermaid
02. VINTAGE "Thumbelina" 1950's earrings from New Mermaid
03. MODERN Johanna Ortiz earrings from Moda Operandi
6. Gold meets colorful hoops.
7. Quirky symbols
01. MODERN Lizzie Fortunato Jewels from Farfetch
02. VINTAGE "Crystal Moon Pearl" Carolee 1960's earrings from New Mermaid
8. Shoulder dusting pearls.
01. MODERN Kate Spade New York earrings from Shopbop
02. VINTAGE "Pearl Bon Bon" 1960's earrings from New Mermaid
9. Dangling swirls.